St Mary’s Graveyard Caheragh

Share:

St Mary’s Church of Ireland church and graveyard is situated just before the village of Caheragh as you drive from Skibbereen in Caheragh on the R594.

While the graveyard is situated just next to the R594, it is nonetheless a very peaceful and beautiful site.

The church was built in 1829 at a cost of £650 with a loan from the Board of First Fruits, which was repaid in full by 1832. It has a capacity for 160 people and the Protestant population in 1830 was recorded as 131.

Rev. James Somerville Reeves (appointed in 1853) carried out extensive improvements during his time in Caheragh including extensive planting of the grounds around the Church. A glebe house was also built in 1877 and all at a cost of £1,600, personally paid for by Rev. Reeves. Many more changes to the Church were made after Rev. Edmund W. Beatty became rector in 1897. Stained glass windows and memorial tablets were installed, and a carved oak pulpit was donated by the family of the former incumbent Rev. Reeves, and a brass lectern was donated in memory of Adam Newman.

 

This obelisk is dedicated to the memory of Thomas Watkins Wood ESQ, of Woodfort, who departed this life June 20. 1860.

Captain Morgan of Hollybrook House, just outside Skibbereen is also buried here. He was an extensive landowner, his estates in Cork covered 1133 acres, in addition he had 1216 acres in Clare.

Sacred to the memory of Captain Anthony Morgan J.P. Late 95th Regiment Born 2nd August 1825 Died 15th February 1907.

Alan Cowan was a physician and surgeon who lived in the Rectory at Caheragh.  He studied at the University of Edinburgh and practiced for most of his career in Middlesex in England.  He died in the nursing home in Bandon.  He served in the Royal Army Medical Corps in World War One where he was awarded his M.C. (Military Cross) for bravery with the following citation:

“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy attack. Hearing that a number of wounded had been left in a dressing station, he organised bearer parties and led them through heavy shell fire to the dressing station and evacuated all the wounded. Through his devotion to duty many wounded were cleared who would otherwise have been abandoned”

Sadly his brother, Alexander, was killed in action in the 16th August 1916 whilst serving as a Lieutenant in the Black Watch.

In Loving Memory Of Alan Cowan Mann MC. MB. Ch.B Died 31 May 1953 Aged 62 And Of His Beloved Wife Catherine Malcolm Mann Who Died 3rd February 1973

In Loving Memory Of Annie Kingston Bawnboy Died May 22nd 1929 Aged 70

With the support of Cork County Council, Skibbereen Heritage Centre erected a sign at St Mary’s Graveyard which lists all those known to be interred there, as well as a brief history of the site, as part of our ongoing graveyards’ signs project.

Barry McMahon of Skibbereen Heritage Centre at the St Mary’s sign
Skibbereen Heritage Centre also produced a sign at Creagh Graveyard near Baltimore
And a sign at Chapel Lane Graveyard in Skibbereen
And a sign at Aughadown Graveyard

 

And a sign at Abbeymahon Graveyard in Skibbereen

 

And a sign at Drinagh West Graveyard
  Next Article

Famous Famine Letter with Links to Family of Rita Hayworth Comes Home to Skibbereen